SUCCESS with the Violin & Life
Strategies, Techniques & Tips
for Learning Quickly and Doing Well
Author: Ruth Shilling, M.M.
Published: 2016, 272 pages.
Paperback. Not available as an ebook.
Most people are spending more time and effort than is needed when practicing the violin. Learning violin skills and techniques can be easier than you might think! Whether it is playing faster, shifting confidently, developing a fine vibrato, or perfecting your spiccato, seasoned violin/viola teacher, Ruth Shilling, shares with you concepts, strategies and tips that will put you on the shortest, easiest route to your goals. And an added benefit is that these same success principles and skills can be applied to the rest of your life, too!
There are step-by-step strategies for solving difficulties as well as exercises to improve your overall technique. Lots of memorable mini-stories from the author’s own experiences help you remember key concepts and principles. It is all in an easy to read format, including an index, so that you can either browse quickly through or read what you want to know in depth.
This book is for you if you are a:
• Music student playing violin, viola, cello or bass
• Parent helping your child succeed – instilling capability and confidence
• Adult string player upgrading your skills and technique
• Music teacher looking for some fresh ideas
The Best Strategy:
Least Amount of Effort • Shortest Amount of Time
There are strategies and techniques for:
- Vibrato – arm, wrist, finger, sound-idea concept
- Rhythms & using the metronome more easily & effectively
- Improving tone, musicality and phrasing
- Three types of memorizing and ways to combine them
- Auditioning well, performing at your best
- Getting the most out of your practice time
- Playing faster and more accurately
- Shifting between positions with confidence
- and so much more!
Some of the principles and concepts included are:
- Building from success to success
- Goals and the most direct route
- Evaluating which skill sets are needed
- Meeting challenges
- Creating desired outcomes
- Updating and upgrading
- Teachers & mentors, groups & tribes
- Entrainment and sympathetic resonance
Contact the author through All One World Books & Media:
Ruth Shilling, M.M. (Viola Performance) has been teaching violin, viola and chamber music for more than 30 years at the University of Connecticut CSA. She was also the principal viola of the New London Connecticut ECSO for 17 years and the Trillium Trio for 20+ years.
Another book by Ruth Shilling:
SINAI: The Desert & Bedouins of South Sinai’s Central Regions. Published by Palm Press, Cairo, Egypt. Available on Amazon.com.
More of Ruth’s activities (Egypt tour operator, teacher, medium & lecturer):
- Flow of Well Being blog
- All One World Egypt Tours – 1worldtours.com
- Ruth Shilling on LinkedIn
- Ruth’s Reviews Facebook page – recommended videos